Michelle’s intro to this recipe gave us a good laugh:
"Ever feel sad or tired that most zucchini recipes are sweet and sometimes you just don't want a sweet bread? Me neither, but in case you were ever wanting a savory slice to serve a burger with, or even have on the side of a thick hearty soup, this recipe is for you!"
- 3 cups almond flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup zucchini, shredded
- 1/2 cup roasted red pepper (dried with paper towel), diced
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup scallions, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil or oregano, minced
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- Preheat oven to 325˚F, and coat a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
- Shred zucchini and mix with dry ingredients.
- Add peppers, scallions, basil, and cheese, and coat well.
- Add milk and vinegar into a glass and stir well. Let the mixture sit for a few minutes until thickened.
- In a separate bowl, mix all your wet ingredients, and then stir mixture into dry ingredients until moistened to create a very thick batter.
- Scoop the mixture into your pan, level it off, and top with thin slices of tomato and a handful of cheese.
- Bake until toothpick comes out clean (about 70-80 minutes).
- Let cool for at least 10 minutes before turning out onto to a rack to cool for a minimum of 40 more minutes more before slicing.
Recipe by Michelle Bailey