This is a great way to make something healthy, and it also tastes delicious and is fun to eat! So grab some lettuce from your Tower Garden, throw in some tofu, and this crunchy meal is sure to become a lunchtime staple.
Vegetarian lettuce wraps with tofu and mushrooms that taste just like the famous P.F. Chang's lettuce wraps. All the flavor for a fraction of the calories!
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons canola oil or grapeseed oil
- 1 packages extra-firm tofu (12- to 14-ounces), do not use silken
- 8 ounces baby bella cremini mushrooms finely chopped
- 1 can water chestnuts (8 ounces), drained and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes omit if sensitive to spice
- 4 green onions thinly sliced, divided
- 8 large inner leaves romaine lettuce from a romaine heart or butter lettuce leaves
- Optional for serving: grated carrots additional red pepper
- In a small bowl, stir together the hoisin, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil. Set aside.
- Press the tofu between paper towels to squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Refresh the paper towels and press again. Heat the 2 teaspoons canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Once the oil is hot, crumble in the tofu, breaking it into very small pieces as it cooks. Continue cooking for 5 minutes, then add the diced mushrooms. Continue cooking until any remaining tofu liquid cooks off and the tofu starts to turn golden, about 3 minutes more. Stir in the water chestnuts, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, and half of the green onions and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds more.
- Pour the sauce over the top of the tofu mixture and stir to coat. Cook just until you hear bubbling and the sauce is warmed through, 30 to 60 seconds.
- Spoon the tofu mixture into individual lettuce leaves. Top with remaining green onions, grated carrots, and additional red pepper flakes as desired. Enjoy immediately.
Recipe by Copycat PF Changs